donderdag 1 april 2010

Parisian Indians.


I'm must admit, I was never a big fan of CocoRosie. I've checked their Myspace a couple times but it never could convince me to listen more.
However, I've listened to their new album, Grey Oceans, and I feel stupid that I've never liked them.

Cause my dear readers, Grey Oceans is a magnificent album. The two popular American sisters, Sierra (Rosie) en Bianca (Coco) Cassady, who're currently residing in Paris have managed to deliver an awesome LP.
However, they really have to win a prize for the ugliest cover art EVER.

The album is not comparable with any other musicians I know. They use so many different styles, but let's call it "freak folk".
Sometimes it's a quiet harp other times you can hear tribal beats and synths or Hip-Hop music.

But the freakiest things are the great voices of the Cassady sisters. They're like the crazy cousins of Joanna Newsom.

Anyhow the albums' first two songs are my favourites, especially Smokey Taboo, which demonstrates the influence of Native-American music.
Title track Grey Oceans is a beautiful slow song, with nice piano-playing and a moving cello.

I don't really know their older albums, but a friend told me that the new LP is more constant than the others. I find it very original music and it's certainly one of the highlights of this week.

Anyhow I won't bore you with more details, just listen some tracks please.
Grey Oceans is set for May 11 2010.

Tracklist:

01 Trinity's Crying
02 Smokey Taboo
03 Hopscotch
04 Undertaker
05 Grey Oceans
06 R.I.P. Burn Face
07 The Moon Asked the Crow
08 Lemonade
09 Gallows
10 Fairy Paradise
11 Here I Come



4 opmerkingen:

  1. that isn't the actual cover art. well, not for the vinyl at least. the photo of the casady sisters is great- i dislike the typography, but it's so them. i'm not sure what you mean by 'constant' though, this album definitely doesn't stick to a specific genre.

    all in all- magnificent album, exceeded my expectations- i love smokey taboo and fairy paradise.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I like cover art :| climatic

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen